Blackboard Tutorial Links:
Free Plugins for Blackboard
The following is a set of links to free applications that may need to be downloaded to view content created by an instructor in Blackboard.
- Streaming Video
- Office Applications – PC
- Office Application – Macintosh
- Other Viewers
- Real Player – For files with the .ra, .ram, or .smil extension. Download the “Free Real Player.”
- QuickTime – For .mov files. You want to “Download the Free Player.”
- Windows Media Player – For .wmv files. Download the player which corresponds to your operating system (Windows XP, 2000, Mac OSX, etc.)
Office Applications – PC
Go to office.microsoft.com and click on the “Download” tab. In the search field at the top of the page, type either “PowerPoint Viewer,” “Word Viewer,” or “Excel Viewer.” Click the title of the program you wish to download and follow the on-screen directions. Users who install these programs will be able to view documents created by those Microsoft products at no cost but will not have the ability to edit them. You do not need to download the Viewer if you have a full version of the program.
Office Applications -MAC
- PowerPoint 98 Viewer for Macintosh – The free Word Viewer and Excel Viewer are not available for the Macintosh.
- Adobe Acrobat – For .pdf files, download the free “Adobe Reader” application. This file format is widespread and most students will need this program throughout their university career.
- Macromedia Flash Player – This enables users to view Flash (.swf) documents. Download the free player.
- Macromedia Shockwave Player – This enables users to view Shockwave documents. Download the free player.